Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'm Stupid, but I've Had Help


Continuing with my theme of Shitty Teachers Have I Had, I was just now flipping through an old copy of Piers Plowman, a book I was supposed to have read in a British Lit class, but never bothered - looking back, I'm almost certain I was staring out the window dreaming about where I would treat Joe Strummer to lunch should he ever wander anywhere near my dorm...for some reason recovering from yet ANOTHER ZTA 3-way at the time.

In reading the intro, I was surprised to hear that within the story lies the first literary reference to Robin Hood. WTF? I never knew that. My professor never mentioned this. Now, I know that I was an adult, and had a responsibility to read it myself; but part of any teacher's job on ANY level is to promote any motivation should he/she find one. I'm not saying I really give a shit about Robin Hood other than the flick that Dave Chappelle and the dude from Princess Bride was in, but you'd think being able to name ANYTHING that could light up a bulb of recognition in my tiny brain might've been worth a try. I'm not saying I would've stopped baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall sc-A-ratching, baby! all day! every day, playing with my big ol' hog balls!!!! inventing Netscape Communicator and actually read it, but I feel like my chances might've been higher. Thanks, pretend college professor!

No comments: