Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nursery University

About a week ago I watched Nursery University, a documentary on the absurd struggles of rich people fighting for spots into NYC's elite....nursery schools. Yes, you read that right. I spent the entire time laughing at what kind of idiots would not only spend so much money on such a thing, but spends sleepless nights stressing over it all, worried about not gaining a certain status through their kids who only recently before had learned how to not shit themselves throughout the day. Then a few days ago somebody made a remark about it, lightly disparaging the schools themselves as being 'evil' for charging so much money to attend what is basically a playground with cookie breaks. (I thought it was Coates, but I can't find the quote now...I'm moving on, people. Walk with me.) Anyway, I thought maybe I had seen the whole thing in the wrong light, maybe I should be more sympathetic to the plight of the wealthy fighting to pay $20k/year so their kid can play with play-doh during the day.

So I just re-watched some of it, and sorry, but I was right the first time. These people are idiots. In fact, I'm surprised at the school's restraint. $20K? Why stop there? They're dealing with people who the more you raise the price, the MORE they'll clamor to have the privilege of paying for it. They should charge $100k, plus a happy ending every Friday. These idiots fall into my "the sort of people that won't pay $1 for something if they can spend $1000 for it", as with Jets fans HERE.

Poor kids...I look forward to the day they run into My Young Bucks.

No comments: