Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cops II

Since nobody asked me and I've done exactly zero research, I thought I'd revisit my thoughts HERE yesterday on cops, and conclude that there are four different groups of cops out there today:

1. Aggro douchebags who get off on the thought of wielding power with a gun
2. Guys who see it as a viable career with good benefits, early retirement etc who just wanna get through the day without rocking the boat, being fairly good/decent cops
3. Guys who start out wanting to be great, compassionate cops but turn into assholes due to the unique stress of such a job
4. Great cops

I wonder how much location factors into a cop's being a douchebag. I've lived in small towns in VA and MS, in which I never met a cop who was an asshole for no reason, and I've lived in New York City, in which I've never met a cop who wasn't a complete asshole for no reason. Cambridge, MA has just over 100,000 people, includes Harvard University and MIT, and is labeled as one of the most liberal cities in the country. Add in that the median income for a family there is $79K, and looking at these facts would not really lead anybody to think of Cambridge as a city broiling under the heat of the kind of ever-present violence and anger and racism that seems to play a part in turning a lot of other cities' cops into assholes. Which leads me to once again surmise that Crowley wasn't acting under any real "racism" at the moment, just sheer stupidity. Couple that with being on television, and the stupidity multiplies, and here we are....writing about shit we have no idea about, and no closer to getting up in Audrina's guts. Sigh. :(

No comments: