Thursday, July 23, 2009

Paradox

There is a paradox to Republicans across the country, wherein when it comes to defense spending they like to think in a "worst case" scenario: no dollar should be spared in case some "whackjob" on the other side of the world is spending 24 hours a day creating bombs that could blow up the Milky Way, even if it includes pouring billions of dollars into missile defense systems named after movies during which we're supposed to suspend belief enough to imagine it possible that overgrown dogs can fly spaceships and Mark Hamill can be employed.

Yet when it comes to things like taxes and public services, Republicans think in "best case" scenarios. It never occurs to them to wonder what would happen if, God forbid, some unlucky series of events finds them broke and out on the street; instead, they are haunted by nightmares of winning the Powerball lottery or waking up and finding themselves CEOs of a Fortune 500 company and therefore being taxed at a different rate than a clerk at a Blockbuster.

All of this is strange to me. Of course, their blustering gung-honess will answer this with their "pull yourself up by your bootstraps!!"-as-national-policy nonsense. I do think there's something fundamentally whack when if I break my arm, I hafta hope it's because some missile found it's way from Iran through my window and hit my arm, and not that I fell out of bed and landed on it funny. But hey, I also haven't had a girlfriend since the last time healthcare fizzled out, so what the fuck do I know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is simply Constitutional. Providing for the common defense is the government's job. Curing your raging gonorrhea is not. There are simply too many things you are willing to rely on Obama to fix for you that have nothing to do with the federal government's defined role. Not that tough to understand.