Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween Reading


Once the shock that this wasn't a sequel to The Devil in Miss Jones wore off, I found one of the more intriguing ideas the Puritans were obsessed with was that the world would end at the end of the century, but you were expected to bust your ass and be as miserable as possible right up to the bitter end:
A conviction that the end was near did not at all prevent people from keeping at their labors. God would expect to find business going on as usual right up to the crack of doom.
If there's one thing we know, it's that people actually BELIEVED back in the day, hardcore. But if I really believed the end was nigh, I'll be damned if I'm busting me ass plowing frozen fields and fighting injuns. That's like getting fired Monday morning and working through Friday: oh HELL no. If I'm fucked and going to hell anyways, I'm fermenting maple syrup and getting up in Goody Kardashian's tongety-tong tongs. As Sinbad (the comedian, not the sailor) once said: don't get no 12:01am whoopin, get the 5:30am whoopin!

No comments: