Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Embarrassing

Republicans sure have a funny way of trying to show us that the healthcare bill sucks:
Republicans love to get their hands on the Democrats' health care legislation. They show it to the cameras at every opportunity, even piling one version on top of another to make a big pile look even bigger.
Although they complain they don't have time to read all of it, they found the time to tape it together, page by page, so they could roll it up the steps of the Capitol like super-sized toilet paper and show how very long it is.

I have lived in this country for 37 years. I have no idea how many pages any bill that has ever been passed has been. If you told me it was 10,000 pages, or if you told me it was 1 page, I would not know if that was good or bad. I, like presumably everybody else in the world before this healthcare "debate," simply would not give a shit. Yes, federal bureaucracy takes up a lot of space on pages with fancy words. Wow. I guess I assumed everyone else knew that after they turned 6 years old. Personally, I prefer legislation that is helpful to myself and our society - whether or not it's comprised of enough paper to theoretically wipe Kirstie Alley's fat ass is of no concern to me.

But yeah, if I was a Republican, I'd be a little concerned that while they don't seem to have the time to read the bill and/or offer a comprehensive alternative, they have time to play around with stunts like this. It's not enough they want to be on the wrong side of history with the most monumental piece of legislation of the last half-century, they are determined to look like children while doing it; they are practically begging people to not take them seriously. Maybe somebody can give them some magic markers to draw colorful pictures on the bill while some adults actually enact it?

Mukluks: Kiko Jones

No comments: