Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Today in Sports

- While on one hand I appreciate any athlete who tries to say interesting things other than the standard sporting clichés, for some reason I've always intuited Gilbert Arenas to be a fool. For all his talents, at some point he decided to become a bit of a "character," and I've always known it was only a matter of time before he did something really stupid - in other words, Arenas is the Kanye West of the NBA.

And while it's easy to kinda give him a pass cause he seems like a nice guy, and it's "oh, Gilbert's just joking/being goofy," once you're bringing guns into an NBA arena I think it's time to play the OWWIDIRAHPT?* card.

- When we were kids Brothatime!! and I played a game in which I'd be the Braves and he'd be the Expos, and we'd alternate batting with their lineups, each of us announcing the batter (Spier/Cromarte/Carter...) before tossing the ball up to ourselves and hitting to the other one of us at the opposite end of the yard, with ghost runners moving from base to base until three outs were caught. Andre Dawson was in those Expos lineups, so I always had an affinity for The Hawk. He was a very good, rock solid player who seemed to exude nothing but professionalism and consistency. Is he a Hall of Famer? No. It's a tough argument cause who really has anything bad to say about the guy, but camon. This is another one of baseball's "well, we hafta have at least one, we've already rented out the room" Hall of Fame votes.




*Okay, What Would I Do If Ron Artest Had Pulled This?

No comments: