Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Red River Rock

One of my dreams has always been to have a button I could push to give myself a rim-shot whenever I got off a well-placed zinger. And tonight I thought I'd also like to have that "OOOOOOOh yeah!.." bit that's in Uncle Buck. I looked, but gave up after about 8 seconds.

But I did stumble up this song, one that is played throughout Planes, Trains and Automobiles (superslice.) I'm not sure I even thought this was an actual song; but now I gotta dig into these guys cause apparently they're an early 80's British version of the glory days of American bubblegum pop that I love, a lá great singles cranked out by fictitious bands.
The "group" were publicised as a quartet with members named Darryl, Jacki, Paul and Diane, but in reality these individuals did not exist and for media interviews their parts were played by actors. The project was launched in 1980 with a sole album called Music For Parties, a collection mostly comprising rock n' roll standards from the 1950s and 1960s, played in an upbeat, somewhat cheesy synth pop style. There were four original compositions on the album, those being "TV Playtime", "Sun Flight", and the instrumentals "Chip 'n' Roll" and "State of Shock (Part 2)".

No comments: