Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Damn.

Freddy's is one of my all-time favorites in Brooklyn, and it's finally giving up it's fight against Ratner.

Some of my favorite Hayday memories are from Freddy's. One show I dropped my guitar on my foot the first song, then played the entire second song in the wrong key without realizing it. (That show, btw, followed what has become known as "The Greatest Practice of all Time." Rylo, who came up from VA to play bass, still gets misty about that practice. It's a shame you can't get rich/famous/chicks from amazing band practices.) I also played a show there during which the unthinkable happened - people started flowing in from outside, meaning that for the only time in history the crowd didn't consist only of people I badgered into coming. I also drank so much beer that the bartender cut me off, since the bands got to drink free and he was watching his profits being drained (first down my mouth, then down the bowl.) "No mas," I believe he said.

Ah well. Fucking Freddy's. From a whole different era of my Brooklyn days. You will be missed.

(l-r: The Barber, me, Brian Patterson, GodIHateYourHayday. Judging from my buddy Dave's denim cap, I'd say this was summer '03) 

No comments: