Friday, April 02, 2010

Erykah Badu

I guess Erykah Badu is in trouble over a video she shot at the JFK assassination site. I dunno. I don't know the song. Or the video. Or what the song has to do with the video. If anything. But the old curmudgeon in me is pleasantly surprised that there's a video out there that's not  "hey, look at my bling 'n bitches," or "Hi! I'm a 14 year-old Mouskateer!! Wanna sniff my pussy? Lookit my thong!" or, worse, the Jonas Brothers. Or some Green Day "anthem!"

Also, while I'd like to take for granted the whole world is aware of such a historical event, if this makes some kids wonder why she filmed it there and they dig into history a little bit, I think there's worse things that can happen in this world. And if you take a second to wonder if there's any (which maybe there ain't, I dunno) artistic/cultural significance to a black artist doing such a thing at a spot where a white president got shot in the head while the first ever black president is sitting in the White House, then you've already been forced to think more than the next 1000 music videos you'll see. I mean, at least she seems to be trying to say or do something interesting with some sort of cultural meaning.

Of course, for all I know the chorus to the song is "Hey, get Green Day over here to sniff my thong while I swallow a live mouse," so.

No comments: