Friday, May 14, 2010

Medicine Show News

Good news for Dream Syndicate fans:
Dream Syndicate’s ‘Medicine Show’ reissue to include ‘Not the New Dream Syndicate Album’
Shortly after I moved to Brooklyn in January of 1998 GodIHateYourSteveWynn, Lux and I went to some basement in the city, where Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate was playing a solo acoustic show. He was trying to plug his latest album, of which he releases about 50 a year, and nobody was really giving a shit, everybody kinda milling around chatting. After I had partook in a few warm Heinekins I thought I'd do Mr. Wynn a favor, and I started shouting out Dream Synicate songs I wanted to hear, and he simply shrugged "fuck it" and played whatever I shouted out over the next 45 minutes or so.

I've always hated that "Only in New York, kids!" saying, but later on while standing there talking to Steve Wynn I remember thinking "there's no way I'd be standing here talking to Steve Wynn after picking out his set list anywhere else." Here's Burn, a super-slice from Medicine Show.

Also cool: Steve Wynn is in The Baseball Project.

2 comments:

here. said...

aw, remember the night well, think you led off with "boston". wynn played in new haven last sat night and did the first 2 DS albums as sets 1 & 2. i'm gettin awful tired of that shit. but then, i wasn't there. on a sider note, it's not a good thing "Not the New Dream Syndicate Album" is being added to medicine show reissue. i saw that tour, DS opening for REM, and that show and the "Not the New Dream Syndicate Album" (well EP) live record were AWFUL. however, i do have a funny story about the show ... a lady friend of mine followed the DS back to the tour bus. she hooked up with one on the bus and after, when she asked what it was like being in a band, he answered, "how would i know, i'm the bus driver"

Xmastime said...

Boston = super SUPER slice!