Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Perfect Ump Update

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

A source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Joyce came into the locker room following the game and apologized to Galarraga and Leyland personally.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers -- led by Leyland -- between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.

"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."
Another thing that will be lost in time because of this is that Austin Jackson made one of the greatest, clutch catches I've ever seen in my life in the 9th inning, which generations of Tigers fans would've yammered about for decades if Joyce had made the right call. Instead, probably not.

1 comment:

Kiko Jones said...

No one's gonna forget that catch--I saw Jackson do it live and will never forget it. Or DeWayne Wise's in Buehrle's perfecto last year.