Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Sliding Doors

I first wondered about automatic sliding doors three years ago HERE.

Just now I walked by a Duane Reade on the sidewalk, and I triggered their automatic sliding doors. Why would stores have this feature on the outside? I can understand the inside; they're hoping you just bought a ton of shit and don't have your hands free so you can get the fuck out. But outside? Sure, maybe you got your hands full then too, but I don't think I've ever heard of anybody saying "no automatic doors to enter? Fuck that, I'll go somewhere else."

But even more importantly, how much money do they lose energy-wise by the doors constantly being opened by people walking by on the sidewalk? I mean, it's bad enough that people shopping are taking up energy, but people who aren't even coming in? Letting warm air out, cold air in? Wouldn't it be wise to stop this?

No comments: