Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pinetop Perkins

I can't pretend to be any sort of expert on Pinetop Perkins, who died yesterday (I'm totally lying...my having gone to the Delta to see Robert Johnson's grave makes me a total fucking expert), but this seems very impressive to me:
Although best known as the piano player who replaced the great Otis Spann in the Waters band in 1969, rock historians also place Perkins at the birth of rock 'n' roll. Perkins taught Ike Turner how to play percussive piano, setting the rhythm with his left hand, while aping horn lines with his right hand. Turner puts those lessons to use on 1951's "Rocket 88," which Memphis producer Sam Phillips called the first rock 'n' roll record.
Still no word on who taught Ike how to treat the ladies, though. When will this smooth operator ever come forward to get his propers?

No comments: