Thursday, April 21, 2011

"I mocked The Beatles, and then they saved me"

Having openly sneered at The Beatles as a 14 year-old for being a "girl's band," THIS GUY finds himself brought back to life by them 50 years later in a hospital bed:
Alone in my bed, I was being nourished as I had been so long ago. That opening chord was the moment everything changed for me -- and arguably, the rest of the world.

There I was, nearly half a century later, tears in my eyes, resembling no one in the movie more than Paul's grandfather, knowing as much as it's possible for a grown man to know how thrilling it must have been to be a lovesick teenage girl back then, screaming her head off for her favorite Beatle, sobbing at the pure mysterious pleasure of the chase she knew she could never win but running just the same. It's a passion that should never have been sneered at but  treasured for the tender moment it was.

That song, that film clip, those screaming girls were as inspiring to me as any of the great freedom songs of the civil rights era. I felt utterly refreshed, ready for anything, ready to make my own mad dash down the dismal hallway outside my door, down to the streets below, running, running, running away from the misery and self-pity that had nearly taken me over. It had been a hard day's night, yeah, but I'd get out of that damned hospital no matter what, I'd get home and I would feel all right.

1 comment:

travis said...

I still think they're a girls band, and a shitty one at that. I still dont get it, to this day. I keep thinking "Maybe i haven't heard the tunes that everyone else has", but nope. I've heard 'em all. Maybe there's something good after 20 seconds in, and that's what I'm missing, because i change the station as soon as possible.