Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Married without Children

via Sully:
It's great to be the uncle with the American accent whose name is printed in the Sunday paper. One of my nephews and my niece have come and visited me and Aaron in Ptown. I love the fact that, aside from a trip to Boston, Provincetown is what they think of as America. If they had been my own kids, that kind of magic - and illusion - would  not be possible. They'd know me too well.

Which is not to say that their relationship with their parents isn't infinitely deeper. Just that there is a place in the world for the childless - and uncling and aunting is one of its perks.
Agreed-amundo.  I think I'm a good uncle and Godfather.  But I'd be a terrible father.  We'd probably live in a bus station, with me prattling on and on about my goddam blocked extra point against Lancaster until the kid was able to escape.

Then again, as an uncle/godfather my main goal is to have them beat the hell outta each other, so what the fuck do I know?

No comments: