Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reality.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna spend the next 12 hours obessively watching An American Family.  No wonder they've kept this buried for decades; it totally belies today's reality producers' insistence that nobody will watch a real family unless they're hot, wasted and getting in catfights, pulling each other's wigs off.  But think about it: would you rather watch footage of a handful of spoiled, uber-wealthy housewives doing ridiculous things in a world you'll never, ever be a  part of, or your next-door neighbors?

Also, it was filmed just before I was born, so gives a great look into the world just as I entered it, offering me that most tantalizing of nostalgia: time and place just before I was aware of my own surroundings; much of what I see I remember from my youth (or, more importantly, think I do.)

I wonder if the Loud family ever looks back on the footage, amazed they have hours and hours of memories to look at.  As much as I blather away about whatthefuckever on Xmastime, I'm very aware that one day, a long time from now, I'll be glad that there's a place I can go to remember what I was once like.  If nothing else, I'll be glad there's pictures of me hanging out with the Short Bus/Big Bear/Husky/Paddy Mac/Cherry Bomb et al, since by then I'll just be some dipshit old mf they avoid so they don't hafta hear about my goddam blocked extra point at Lancaster.

No comments: