Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wtf?

I've always wanted to get a peep at the "first reality show," PBS' An American Family, from the early 70's.  So I was happy to see it pop up in headlines recently, until I actually saw what was happening, which is they're making a movie based on it.  Great.  This is what it's come to: we're making movies based on reality shows.  I look forward to The Kardashians movie.  Fuck that - I look forward to the Kardashian TV SHOW based on their tv reality series.  Fucking hell.

Luckily, PBS will finally be re-running the series, and it's what you'd expect:
If you've seen all or part of the original PBS series -- which will be rerun April 30 -- you're sure to spend much of the film's running time comparing Lane, Robbins, Gandolfini and the actors who play the Loud children against their real-life counterparts, and you might arrive at the same unflattering conclusion I did: They're convincing, but ultimately nowhere near as fascinating as the real people. Even viewers who've never seen a frame of the source may intuit that a lot of essential things are missing -- that this story is just the finely buffed tip of an immense, oddly shaped iceberg.

No comments: