Saturday, January 28, 2012

PBS Memories

You know I loves me some  Todd Snider, and it looks like Tinsel & Rot was introduced to him the same moment I was in 1996, when PBS aired his Austin City Limits show.  I also remember seeing him play Oh Boy! with Joe Ely on some show that was hosted by Tom Luke Duke Wopat...wtf that was, I have no idea.   I went on to wear the fuck outta that album, although I've curiously listened to nothing of his since.  But I still love that record.

Mostly, thinking about it remembers of an odd stretch in Oxford when PBS seemed to play on a continuous loop:

A Hard Day's Night
The Making of A Hard Day's Night
Help!
The Red Green Show
The Steven Banks Show
- featuring one of my favorite all-time television movements, his song I Miss Paul.  An incredible mix of comedy ("No one could make a pot of tea like Paul could") and poignancy ("I wish we were back in Liverpool.")  Super super slice.

Skip ahead to the 5:00 mark for the song.

No comments: