Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Travel Calculator

I've long argued the value of how long travel actually takes from door to door vs. the automatic default to flying a lot of people have, so I've never had a problem taking the bus anywhere between Boston/VA, even before considering the fraction of cost vs. flying.  By the time the flier has shown up at the airport an hour early, had his nutbag groped and then sat on the tarmac for an hour, I'm at he Sbarro's at Baltimore Travel Plaza.  And of course god forbid there's a renegade snowflake in Cincinnatti, then the entire airport system shuts down.

So it's great to see via Sully a Travel Calculator.  Awesome.

Here's my trip from NYC to DC.  I wish you could use buses instead of a car, in which case my cost would be cut in by more than half to $20 ticket + $2.25 subway fare + $1.50 panic buy of fucking Combos.   1/15th the price for a mere 44 extra minutes? And a fraction of the CO2 impact?  Throw in my fear of flying, and it's a win-win-win for me.  I'll take it. 


No comments: