Sunday, October 30, 2011

Graveyard Etiquette

I don't visit tombstones. Never have. The very few times I have gone it's been cause somebody else wanted to, and I simply accompanied. I stand at parade rest, silent and running through Leave Home in my head, til the person wants to leave. Silent understanding nod, walk.

But when people leave things at a gravesite...what's the protocol? I just watched a dude on The Sopranos leave a whole new cake at a tombstone for his dead wife. I mean damn, a whole freaking cake...am I outta bounds for, AFTER he's left of course, walking over and taking the cake home and eating it? Hey, wouldn't I be doing him a favor - what if he came back the next day and the cake was still there? Disappointing, no? At least if I take it, he can convince himself that somehow his wife has it now and enjoyed her some cake from her man, right? You're welcome!

Hey, I'm just wondering.

No comments: