Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Sherman Brothers

I just stumbled upon a documentary about the Sherman Brothers; turns out that if you've heard a song in a Disney movie or at a theme park the odds are about 99% they wrote it, including all-time classics like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Chim Chim-Cher-ee, Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World After All, I Wan'na Be Like You (from The Jungle Book, which I think was the first movie I was ever taken to...although it mighta been Brothatime!!, not me) and about a gazillion others.  I had no idea all that stuff was written by the same two guys.

Also an interesting look at the relationship of two brothers - recognizable to me in that even at the age of 80 the younger one looks up to the older brother and considers himself "the kid brother" while the older is vaguely dismissive of the younger one; unrecognizable to me in that for reasons I missed they not only ended their own private relationship but kept their families apart for decades. Bizarre.  I find it hard to believe that even if Brothatime!! and I couldn't stand each other it would keep me from sending my kids over to destroy his house on a regular basis.  ;)

No comments: