Saturday, April 07, 2012

It's Got Me Reeling

I'm uncomfortable talking about the Trayvon Martin shooting in that I'm pretty sure this happens way more often than we'd like and nobody usually seems to care, but I agree with All-Time Xmastime Hall of Fame Bill Cosby on what it means vis-a-vis our gun culture:
“We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,” said Cosby. “Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself. … The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations. When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said.
Of course what the opposition wants is to have EVERYBODY walking around with guns in their hands, a la the myth that the Va Tech shooting wouldn't have happened if only every student and teacher had a loaded gun on them. Even more so, I'm uncomfortable about the whole episode because I can't hear the name "Trayvon" without singing it to the tune of Buddy Holly's Rave On, which makes me feel guilty, so.

No comments: