Thursday, May 31, 2012

Catchers/Umpires

Via HERE;
Martin said the initial refusal came in the second inning, then continued all night during the Yankees' 6-5 win over the Angels.
"Even at the end of the game, after I got hit in the neck, I'm like, 'Can I throw the ball back now?'" Martin said. "He's still like, 'No.' ... Unbelievable."
Martin said he likes throwing the ball back to the pitcher to keep his arm warmed up, especially if there are runners on base during a tight game. Despite repeated requests, Diaz declined to hand the ball to Martin, throwing it back to the mound himself.
This should hopefully put us that much closer to my dream movie re: umpires/catchers!
No matter how many decades I may be a fan of baseball, every once in a while I'm shocked to be reminded of the intimacy between an umpire and catcher. Nine innings, literally hovering over the catchers shoulder, game after game, all season long. A subtle flow of communication played out over the months. How has no one turned this into a sitcom or movie? 
How is this shit not a documentary?!?!?

No comments: