Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Cup of Coffee Celebré

Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains. - Crash Davis
OVER HERE is a celebration of coffee cup players, ie guys who only ever got into one game in the big leagues, including a guy who got plunked in the head by the only pitch he ever saw.

My first at-bat on varsity consisted of getting hit in the hand so hard the ball rolled back tot he pitcher, who calmly threw me out at first base without my even knowing I had swung the bat; finally, after a few attempts to re-enter the batter's box, the umpire broke the news to me that I was out, and to get my ass back in the dugiut. Of course unlike these chumps who only lasted one day in the Major Leagues, I went on to have a stunningly amazing high school baseball career, fuck you very much.

No comments: