Tuesday, October 30, 2012

(You Can't) Kill Rock City

Via Sully we see this article about the heartbreak of seeing NYC submerged under water:
New York is the city I love best, and I'm trying to imagine it from a distance tonight. The lurid, flash-lit instagram images of floating cars in Alphabet City or water pouring out of the East River into Dumbo, the reports of bridges to the Howard Beach submerging and facades falling off apartment houses – it all stings. It's as horrible in its very different way as watching 9/11.
I'm glad all my friends up there are okay, but I will admit to a touch of, I dunno, sadness? envy? as their texts came in all night, excitedly going through the shit together (ie, drunk) while I was hundreds of miles away, on the outside. One think about New York City I'll always remember is that people in New York City love going through extraordinary shit together. Of course the two best examples of my years there would be the blackout and 9/11. Maybe this is because everybody knows that in the end, nothing can actually break the city.

No comments: