Friday, December 28, 2012

Brooklyn USA

You are from New York, therefore you are just naturally interesting - Lena Dunham's character in the mirror to herself on Girls
Great article HERE about what it's like to live in NYC:
I've never felt more important than when I lived in New York...Eventually my fellow New Yorkers started to feel more like teammates than neighbors. The tumult the City throws in your way daily engenders a sense of community the way getting its ass kicked on a rink might galvanize a hockey team. Stuff like complaining about real estate-the price of it, the rotten brokers, the changing neighborhoods-is like a secret handshake for New Yorkers, thrown out quickly to differentiate between those in the know from everyone else, who probably talk about reality television at dinner. Then there's the knowing nods from strangers on the street in times of extreme heat or cold, their meaning being "This shit again." 
My own blubbering about leaving NYC HERE.

Also, this struck me:
A lot of kids, me included, aspire from early on to live in New York because the crushing smallness of their birthplace pains them. They're the town faggot or the town dreamer and they stand in their backyards and look into miles of desolation and quiet, knowing with bitter certainty that nobody-at least nobody they think of as significant-cares about them. They feel trapped in a tiny town beneath a massive sky full of stars, and they know they'll be gone someday.
I've of course thought the same thing.

Also, he's slightly misguided that "In New York you can't even see the stars." As I've said before,
The only problem with living in New York City is that the only stars you ever see are on the ground.
Hmm....any more ways to make this article about me...

No comments: