Friday, December 28, 2012

Days of Python

Previous thoughts on Monty Python, as I'e been re-watching their anthology over and over:
Life of Brian is great, and The Holy Grail is a super-slice I could watch on a loop. And I've loved the doc IFC has been running all week of them talking about how it all happened, but I can't say I've ever been a fan of their tv show.

HOWEVER.

Following the success of Holy Grail, reporters asked for the title of the next Python film, despite the fact that the team had not even begun to consider a third one. Eventually, Idle once flippantly replied "Jesus Christ and His Lust for Glory", which became the group's stock answer once they realised that it shut reporters up.
No matter how great Life of Brian was, Eric Idle cracking "Jesus Christ and His Lust for Glory" has to be the single funniest thing ever said out loud. I mean, I couldn't have come up with that in 100 years, and Idle just tossed it off like that. Fucking incredible. I say that over and over, and it fucking kills me. What a line. I can't imagine anything that could be funnier. 
Mostly, this is an excuse to re-post what surely is not only the single greatest comedy scene based on Latin grammar, but may be the single funniest movie scene ever (I await Filmvetter's verdict, obvi.)

No comments: