Thursday, December 06, 2012

Oxford American

This year is the 20th anniversary of The Oxford American, which is pretty amazing considering the stop-starts it’s gone through. Also, I had no idea Mark Smirnoff was fired in July. My buddy Ryan was there in the beginning as an unwashed intern, when the office was on The Square. Which it might still be, what the hell do I know. Here's an article in The New York Times (or, as I call it, "The Times") about the magazine:
 The best description I can muster of the magazine’s voice, if it has one, comes from something the novelist Tom Franklin wrote recently in his introduction to an anthology called “Grit Lit: A Rough South Reader.” Mr. Franklin described the way many of the contributors sound: like “the sensitive guy at the dogfight.”
Mostly, I love any newspaper article that mention the greatest book store of my life, Square Books.

 

No comments: