Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Happy Birfday Op!

Of course we celebrate by looking back at Op's birfay on Xmastime through the years, some of which might have to do with him (but prolly not). Here's 2007:
5 Songs I Like Today (Album Week!) 
PSYCHOCANDY - The Jesus and Mary Chain
"The Hardest Walk"
"Never Understand"
"You Trip Me Up"
"Sowing Seeds"
"Taste the Floor"

On a side note, just spent the last hour trying to figger which version of "Head On" I like better, the original or the Pixies? I always thought this was the greatest cover a band from my generation did, like they did in the old days - an earnest, we-love-the-song cover by a contemporary. Is there a better example in the last 20 years of bands who are contemporaries that do such a great cover of the others's song? I'm sure there are, but this one has always meant a lot to me. 
I only saw my Dad laugh out loud once: when I played him my tape of Bill Cosby's "Himself", the part about his father farting and blaming it on elephants. A no-nonsense guy for sure, so you can picture his look of utter disappointment upon opening the door to his 17 year old son's room and seeing this fucking loser boo-hooing like a school-girl and moving the needle back over and over again to replay the line "..and the way I feel tonight, I could die and I wouldn't mind..." after being dumped by his first love. Can still see his face - utter shame mixed with the disgust that reads "who just cut one?" Ah well. The things that connect you to songs, right? A great, great song, both versions. I lean towards the original, but the cover is unstoppable.

No comments: