Friday, February 08, 2013

Bruuuuuuuuce, It's Been Awhile

Bruce "The Boss' Springsteen in an interview HERE is asked the question he's been answering for years now, the ol' how do you continue to be a cowering class hero when you're a rich motherucker, shouldn't you be writing songs about your yachts (a la Brothatime a few years back):
People always ask that question like there's some trick to it [laughs]. Really, that was something that came very natural to me from the beginning. I could look back and see that there were a lot of my heroes who came before me that got distracted or lost in the confusing life that came with their success. So, I had a deep sense of where my power source was coming from, you know. It came from memory and experience, rooted in geography, locality, a sense of place, a certain people. These are the things that are at the heart of the engine on a nightly basis. Maintaining a connection to those things, to me, was always a survival instinct. It was necessary. The things that pulled you away from that, I viewed with some suspicion. I've certainly enjoyed the life and privilege that I've had because of my success. But there's been a fundamental focus on those things that we carried over the years with the E Street Band. I'm lucky I've had the band I've had, one that was surrounded by those things and believed in those things as well.
Of course he answered the question much more succinctly and better years and years before:
You ride in a limousine the first time, it’s a big thrill but after that it’s just a stupid car.
"GET the fuckouddahere with that shit already!"

No comments: