Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Marah Mountain

My belief in rock was rescued about 13 years ago by a tape Op gave me that had Marah's Let's Cut the Crap and Hook Up Later On Tonight on one side and the V-Roy's Just Add Ice on the other..I spent weeks listening to What's She's Found off of the V-Roy's album and then begrudgingly mentioned that "the Marah guy's Baby Love song is kind of good..."

Long story short for anyone who's read this blog, it all changed when I went to the cd release party for Kids in Philly a few weeks later. But Op and Lisk had stumbled upon Marah at the Mercury Lounge opening for Blue Mountain months earlier, and that's the reason I started to believe in rock n roll again, as well as gaining some of the most important friendships of my life.

I never really loved Blue Mountain, even back when I lived in Oxford, but this shit sounds about right:
As a personal aside, I’d like to say a few words about the bands. As a struggling writer and musician, I become incredibly jaded and weary of music and its industry at times. Writing for Examiner and other outlets, I’ve met and even interviewed a fair share of musicians. Laurie Stirratt and Cary Hudson were very accessible and very appreciative of the people that came out to the shows. Perhaps I’ve met the wrong bands, but it was shocking to see such gratitude. Over the last several years, Dave Bielanko and Christine Smith have been very kind and generous to me by granting time and interviews for the articles I’ve written on them. At the Blue Canoe in Tupelo, many people did not get in to see the show, and Dave and Christine wanted to go into the parking lot and play a few songs for those people. That type of attitude and work ethic is truly inspiring. It makes it very easy to stand in the corner of these two bands who genuinely BELIEVE in the music they make, and they work hard for it. If they’re ever in the area again, whether together or separate, do yourself a favor and don’t miss it.

2 comments:

The Gnat said...

I seem to remember a certain friend of mine who was not into "that country shit" when introduced to the Black Dog records collection. "I like some of that Neckbreakers band's stuff." It just wasn't the right time for you back then.

And go back to thinking Op, not me, is your bestest friend too.

The Gnat said...

I love that Viceroys disc too. I heard they were a great live band (attitude, smokes, shithoused), though I never got to see them.