Saturday, July 20, 2013

25 Years Ago Today: Midnight Run

The other day I read a celebration of the 25-year anniversary of the release of Bull Durham, and Xmastime buddy A Trifle Further reminded me that today is the day The Great Outdoors was released in 1988. I wouldn't normally think of 1988 as being a great year for movies but these two along with Midnight Run and Naked Gun means that its quite quickly in the running for a banner fucking year for movies. - XMASTIME
July 20 has a few things going on for it: the day we landed on the moon, the day of Wedding #2 and, more importantly, the day Xmastime superslice of superslices Midnight Run was released in 1988. A Trifle Further (the erstwhile Tinsel & Rot?) has a great post on this masterpiece:
“Midnight Run” was likely the second movie I saw starring Grodin (and, if I am to be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to his work in “The Great Muppet Caper”) and though I can’t say I’ve seen a ton of his other movies, I don’t see how he could be better than he was in “Midnight Run.” Never has an annoying, needling character been so endearing.

And De Niro and Grodin are perhaps at their best in the “litmus configuration” scene, which, if the Internet is to be believed (and if I find out the Internet is lying to me, I don’t know what I’ll do), was largely improvised.
PS - is this sequel happening or not?


No comments: