Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Proud Larrys

Marah has been touring with Blue Mountain, and everybody's fucking happy:
The Oxford show in particular seemed like a family affair, which was illustrated when they all jumped from the stage and performed a front-porch styled, uplifiting version of the gospel "I'll Fly Away" in the middle of the audience. It was apparent that both bands felt “at home”; Cary and Laurie basically were, and Dave is sort of an adopted son of the town. In “Tramp Art,” on Marah’s last record, Bielanko sang, “I’m Mississippi but I don’t know how”, which I think is the general feeling of the many long-time fans of the band I met at the Oxford show. No one really knows how Marah found an immediate home in Oxford right out of the gate, and no one cares. They’re just glad it happened.

No comments: