Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Reality Really Bites

Most of my life I've thought of The Breakfast Club of being my age's defining movie, but now I realize those kids were an age group too old for me (5-6 years difference does a generation make at that age, after all.) I remember writing a post years ago about the phenomenon that we're more likely to be nostalgic for times that came JUST BEFORE our own, but I can't find it so fuck it.

Unfortunately for me, I'm stuck with Reality Bites, about which I couldn't agree with this statement  any stronger:

few Gen Xers would willingly claim this movie, but they're stuck with it.
Side question - are PCU or Singles a better choice than Reality Bites? - XMASTIME

The movie that might single-handedly define my generation is, in fact, Reality Bites. Kill me now.  - XMASTIME
The unique thing about Reality Bites is that when I look back on my own age in those very years of the movie (or thereabouts), I can't tell if its exactly how my life was at the time, or the exact opposite. Trippy.

2 comments:

The Gnat said...

I wil claim PCU. I didn't see it until just after college, but it made a whole lot of sense. 10 times funnier than other options too.

Xmastime said...

Agreed!