Thursday, September 12, 2013

Happy Birfday Short Bus!!

"Really? 10:43pm? Eat a bag of dicks, fat boy!"
“I’m telling you lil’ buddy, she didn’t like me the second I walked into her stupid, round office,” I was telling Chuck forty-five minutes later at the playground as I pulled a juicebox out of the diaper bag.
“Ah well, forget her, right?  Hey, so I didn’t get the job.  I already have a job, right?”
“Rats!”
“You got that right, lil’ buddy,” I said.  “Hey, so Rats won’t be in charge of medical billing for the Saint Who Gives a Crap hospital, right?  Big freaking deal.”
We sat next to each other on a park bench, with Chuck distributing cheese Goldfish between the two of us.  I looked like I was three hours into a wedding reception: still in my interview pants and interview shoes, dress shirt un-tucked and unbuttoned, tie barely hanging on for dear life.
I wiped orange cheese powder on my crumpled dress pants and Chuck, seeing I needed my Goldfish refreshed, grabbed another handful with his tiny fist and shoved them in my face.
“Rats!  Mo gofish Rats!”
“I have to tell you something, lil buddy,” I said to Chuck on the bench.  “The day is coming when I ain’t gonna be able to be here with you.  You’re gonna be out here, with who the heck knows who.”
I was sweating more than I normally did on a regular basis, which of course would make this a frightening amount, and felt like I was losing my breath.  Looking at Chuck, I saw pretty much what I thought I’d see: Chuck, bored.  Not even remotely moved by my little speech.  Even cooler than usual, to be honest.
“Mooooooo!  Moooooooo!”
The retard chorus was warming up for their matinee, but I stayed focused.
“Listen,” I looked Chuck in the eye, as best one could look a two and a half year old Goldfish-riddled-to-the-gills kid in the eye, “you’re gonna be three years old in a few months, and you’re gonna start going to school.  This is it for us.”
“Rats!”
He was standing still, looking at me.
“Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”
I took a slug of my Diet Coke, which he mirrored with his juicebox.  Finishing it, he slammed the empty box to the ground.
“More apple juice, Rats!”
Without even thinking I dug into the bag to hand him another one.
“You know,” I informed him, “it’s only cool to do that if it’s a beer can, and there’s pretty girls watching.”
He took the fresh box and clamped his mouth down on the straw, still standing in front of me without moving, as I rambled on and on.  I could hear myself speaking, without knowing what the hell I was saying.  I sounded like I was running a race, and felt like I was running out of time.
“Look, lil buddy, I –“
“Rats!”
Thunk!  Another emptied-out juicebox hit the ground, and Chuck started to slide down off the bench, eager to finally go play.  He’d heard enough.
“Rats!  Les play, Rats!”
“You got it, buddy.”
But just before we headed over to the jungle gym, I couldn’t help but grab him and turn him to face me.
“Hey, lil buddy, listen: whoever takes care of you after me, you gotta do one thing, okay?  You listening, lil buddy?”
“Rats!”
He was trying to pull away, but I held for one more moment.
“If they ain’t playing with you the whole day, they’re no good.  Remember that.  You let them know that, right?”
He was looking at me, but instead of listening to every word he was pissed, wondering why the fuck he wasn’t on the jungle gym.  I still had him by the little shoulders.
“And remember, lil buddy: Curious George is ALWAYS ON.  If not, there’s always ten or so episodes recorded just for you, so if they try to tell you that you can’t watch George so they can watch some stupid reality show crap or whatever, they’re lying.  Don’t fall for that, okay lil buddy?  Curious George is ALWAYS ON!”
He was moving to get away from me and go play.  Enough was enough.  It was time to let him go, and I eased my grip on his shoulders.
“Mooooooo!  Moooooooo!”
The retard chorus was in full, glorious swing.  We’d have to hope the cops took those kids away in a few minutes.
“And one more thing I’m gonna tell you. Chuck,” I said.  “I’m changing, starting right away.  Trish has been nagging me for months to go to the gym with her.  I’m gonna do it.  Starting tomorrow, I’m gonna do it.  Lose about a cow’s worth of this butterfat for once, right lil’ buddy?”
He was squirming to get away, so I completely let go.
“I love you, lil buddy!”  I held my arms out for a hug.
“Les pay, Rats!”
He ignored my hug and shot off towards the monkey bars.  Jungle gym.  Whatever the fuck it was.
“Aight, lil buddy,” I followed right behind him, my hands ready to catch him if he tripped.   “Let’s go play.”

No comments: