Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man."

I'm watching the latest installment, 56 Up, but I need to really sit down and watch the old British reality show Up Series. 
In 1964, a group of British 7-year-olds were interviewed about their lives and dreams in a groundbreaking television documentary, Seven Up. Since then, in one of the greatest projects in television history, renowned director Michael Apted has returned to film the same subjects every seven years, tracking their ups and downs. POV, which presented the U.S. broadcast premiere of 49 Up in 2007, returns with 56 Up to find the group settling into middle age and surprisingly upbeat. Through marriage and childbirth, poverty and illness, the "kids" have come to terms with both hope and disappointment.
How weird must it be to be one of the kids randomly chosen for this, to be able to see old footage of your life from every 7 years? Can I even imagine watching film of myself in 1979/1986/1993/2000/2007/2014 etc? Unreal. It's like watching the end of The Office.

No comments: