Wednesday, January 08, 2014

A Career on Grantland

A curiously exhaustive Grantland post on is Bruce Springsteen's career overrated, underrated or properly rated. Not only his album, but everything:

The Live Concert Experience

This is the most mythologized aspect of Bruce Springsteen's career. Springsteen isn't described merely as a great live performer — his concerts are classified as RELIGIOUS experiences conjuring SPIRITS that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Forget the hyperbole. I can only address this based on my firsthand experience.
I've seen Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band four times. The first was at Target Center in Minneapolis in 1999. I was 21 and it was just OK. The second time was at Bradley Center in Milwaukee on St. Patrick's Day in 2008. I loved it. The third time was also at Bradley Center in 2009. He played the entirety of Born to Run and brought out Richard Davis7 to play on "Meeting Across the River." It was amazing. The fourth time was in 2012 at Wrigley Field. My seats sucked, the sound sucked, the Old Style Light could've been a touch colder, and I still had a wonderful time. PROPERLY RATED.

No comments: