Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We Pretty Boys Stick Together

Matthew McConaughey in the opening episode of True Detective:
Cohle: I tell myself I bear witness, but the real answer is that it’s obviously my programming. And I lack the constitution for suicide.
Yours truly in his never-to-be-published-novel, The Manny Tapes:
But of course death’s permanence meant I wouldn’t be able to stroll through my own memorial service and accept all the pats on the back I’d be hoping for; besides, even in my depths of wallowing I knew I’d never have the guts to do the right thing, that for once my incredible lack of initiative would be useful to my own survival. Also, I was pretty sure that the day after I killed myself would be the day beautiful woman all around the globe would collectively announce they were only having sex with fat, broke drunks. My main reason for living was hoping that the next moment would offer a reason to live.

No comments: