Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Les Popes

I woke up and watched the canonization of Pope John Paul II and Pope John XIII the other morning because I'm fascinated by such old, ritualized things, like the Royal Wedding for instance. As I don't believe in god or religion I find the notion of people canonizing other people a bit silly, but it can still be an awe-inspiring thing.

But how miffed would you be if you were one of these guys and had to share the day with another Pope? I mean, wtf - I'M A FUCKING SAINT and you're like "fuck it, if we do 'em both together we get a deal on paper plates from Costco"?!!?!?

And I don't wanna be a dick here, but apparently one of the "miracles" Pope John Paul II performed that qualified him for sainthood was to cure a women of Parkinson's...which he eventually died of himself! How can you become a saint for curing someone of a disease you'd later die of yourself? Either he was really determined to get to the big popemobile in the sky, or it turns out he was actually shitty at performing miracles.

But the point is now this: in my lifetime I have seen a Pope, a President (Reagan in 1981 at the Yorktown anniversary), Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen, Gordon Ramsay, and now a Saint...so this canonization just makes myself, incredibly, that much more amazing.

No comments: