Saturday, April 05, 2014

Not Such High Hopes

People I hated back in 2007:
5) Bands that are AMAZED at themselves re: “how this record came together.” Araarrrrrggggghhh. Every time some fuckwad band is releasing an album now, they sit back in interviews and MARVEL at how this record “came together.” They’re mystified, wowed at how this magic happened. “Yeah, I mean, how this record was made, I mean it just somehow happened, came together, like magic, you know?” ummm...you mean you wrote some songs, some people came and played them and you recorded it? Wow! What a MYSTERY!!! Shut the fuck up. And then there’s always the jagoff who’s gotta take time out to let us know that while recording gee, I dunno, he just doesn’t really trust “technology.” He’s a luddite, all about the music! Shut the fuck up. You play electric instruments and record mostly onto a computer after which you pray that 15 year olds download your songs onto their iPods. So quit this stupid act; quit acting like if it were up to you you’d whisper your songs into blades of grass until the ghost of Robert Johnson heard your amazing, ethereal cuts and somehow made them available at Starbucks. Fuck. YEEEEEEW!
I just watched the (brief) HBO doc on Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen's new record, which seems to be de rigeur these days for Bruce (search Xmastime for the Born to Run doc and the Darkness re-release etc etc), and I'm left with exactly 2 thoughts:

1. His lyrics include an imaginary conversation between Einstein and Shakespeare, and actually namechecks Robert McNamara. Hmm.

2. From what I can tell so far, the two best songs on the album are both covers: Dream Baby Dream by Suicide and Just Like Fire Would by The Saints.

I am, however, a sucker for this. I'M NOT MADE OF STONE, PEOPLE.

No comments: