Thursday, May 08, 2014

2014: In America

Here's one woman telling how hellish it is working at Wal-Mart, which enjoys profits of $16B:

Things have always been tight. After four years working at Wal-Mart in Mountain View, I am bringing home about $400 every two weeks (I’d like to get more hours, but I’m lucky if I work 32 hours a week). That’s not enough to pay for bills, gas and food.  All I can afford to eat for lunch is a cup of coffee and a bag of potato chips. I’ve always done everything possible to stretch paychecks and scrape by. Sometimes it means not getting enough to eat.
Now's she's sick and you can guess how robust her healthcare from Wal-Mart is. She's old, has worked all her life, all for this:
I sleep on the floor of my son’s living room because I can’t afford my own place. All of my belongings are in my car. I don’t know where to send my mail.

I am scared for my health. I am scared for the future for my grandkids. And I am scared and sad about the direction that companies like Wal-Mart are taking our country.
And of course she'll surely get fired for attaching her (presumably real) name to the piece.

Makes you want to fucking cry.

No comments: