Sunday, July 12, 2015

Let It Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old Paul Westerberg interview from 1990, interesting in that he comments on each Replacements album.
The Bob: “LET IT BE is the one that made people realize that, Hey this band is something else, this band is definitely not a hard-core band.” Paul: “This band knows Pete Buck” [laughter]
The Bob: “The songs were kind of transcendent compared to your earlier stuff. That album has some of my favorite songs of all time like ‘I Will Dare’, ‘Answering Machine’ and ‘Unsatisfied’.” Paul: “And every one of those three was written at a turbulent period of my life. I’m glad we recorded then – had it been 2 months later, it might have been different. I hate when I look at it that way, because then we’re back to the question of ‘Well, do you need that tension in your life to create great art?’ But it seems to come back to the fact that those songs that stay with you are the ones that were written at a hard time.”

No comments: