Thursday, August 27, 2015

Born to Run at 40

As someone who grew up just outside of it and lived there for a year, I am not without a little bit of pride to know that the seeds of Born to Run were planted in Richmond, VA:
“Bruce had just finished a concert in Richmond, Va. He was in the back seat of the car. He leaned over the front seat and said, ‘Mike, I’m trying to meld my lyrics with more Phil Spector-type songs and I’d like to use his production values.’ And I said, ‘O.K., I got it.’ Then he said, ‘Do you know anything about Phil Spector production values? And I said, ‘Yes, I do.’ ”
Of course for reasons nobody seems to know, Springsteen had an early fan base that was strong in Richmond.
“Bruce had just finished a concert in Richmond, Va. He was in the back seat of the car. He leaned over the front seat and said, ‘Mike, I’m trying to meld my lyrics with more Phil Spector-type songs and I’d like to use his production values.’ And I said, ‘O.K., I got it.’ Then he said, ‘Do you know anything about Phil Spector production values? And I said, ‘Yes, I do.’ ” Read more at http://observer.com/2015/08/how-bruce-springsteen-made-born-to-run-an-american-masterpiece/#ixzz3k42Mc4aK Follow us: @observer on Twitter | Observer on Facebook Read more at: http://tr.im/YML0e

No comments: