Tuesday, August 18, 2015

S1 S2

Grantland tackles the question of best album openers (Side 1, Track 1) HERE.

Seems to know his stuff, I only skipped it but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that while I'm not really a Wilco fan Misunderstood leading off Being There is one of the most stunning album openers of all time.

A few years ago I tackled this one, using my personal favorite bands. Here they are. You are welcome.
THE RAMONES
Do You Remember Rock 'n Roll Radio?

THE REPLACEMENTS
I.O.U.
(NOTE: actually surprised I didn't put Hold My Life here. Hmm.)

THE BEATLES
I Saw Her Standing There

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
The Ties That Bind

THE CLASH
Safe European Home

MARAH
Faraway You. This is an all-time opener, almost impossible to beat.

R.E.M.
Radio Free Europe

HUSKER DU
Flip Your Wig (close: Those Important Years)

SOUL ASYLUM
Freaks

UPDATE: whoops, I only now realized that the writer settled on only choosing from debut albums, thus rendering my little list silly. Fuck it.

No comments: