Monday, November 30, 2015

Oscar Wilde's Death

The more I read the more I realize there's a list of the most interesting people who've ever lived, and Oscar Wilde is pretty much the list.- XMASTIME
Oscar Wilde died 115 years ago today, and it probably wasn't from syphilis. This bit in particular is fascinating:
Perhaps most ironic is the fact that Oscar’s father, Sir William R.W. Wilde was one of Ireland’s most eminent ear surgeons and who often treated ear infections like the one that killed his son. In his well-received 1853 textbook, “Practical Observations on Aural Surgery and the Nature and Treatment of the Diseases of the Ear,” Sir William warned of the infectious and deadly power of discharges from the ear: “…so long as otorrhoea [ear discharge] is present, we never can tell how, when, or what it may lead to.” His son’s course of illness proves this morbid observation all too well.
I've never actually read one of his books, but Oscar Wilde was a fucking quote machine.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.

The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.

I can resist everything except temptation.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But... it is better to be good than to be ugly.

I find it harder and harder every day to live up to my blue china.
Of course a quick Google search finds a ton more.

No comments: