Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Only Fools and Horses du Jour

Jim Broadbent, who would play the evil cop Slater in two episodes, famously turned down the role of Del Boy, to the relief of every fan and Broadbent himself:
“I would not have wanted it enough to do it long-term,” he says. “And the BBC would have pulled the plug, because it would not have been successful.
“David Jason was the right man at the right time, like a marriage made in heaven. It was a narrow escape – for them and for me. Del Boy would have been long forgotten by now whereas he is still an institution.”
Classic bit from when Slater tried to put ol' Del Boy away:
Inspector Roy Slater: Remember Del? All us lads down the river playing pirates! Boycie was the first mate, Trigger was Long John Silver... What Part did I play Del?
Del Boy: You played the bloke what walked the plank.
Inspector Roy Slater: Ye that's right... I was always the bloke that walked the plank! I was in and out of that water more times than a ducks head! I always wanted to be BlueBeard!
Del Boy: Well you should have asked!
Inspector Roy Slater: I did lots of times but you'd never let me!
Del Boy: I did once.
Inspector Roy Slater: Oh yes I remember, that was the day that BlueBeard had to walk the plank!

No comments: