Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Concussed!

Me on the fear of letting your kids play football for fear of concussions back in 2012:
When I think of the small empire of 5-6 year-old boys close to me, I still think I'd be fine with them playing football in high school. The last high school football game I went to, maybe 10 years ago, I was laughing at how small the players were; they looked like lambs frolicking, rolling over each other. Now, if I find any of my guys suddenly weighing 300lbs and running a 4.3 40 while competing against the same I'll be worried, but in terms of normal-sized high school kids they have a better chance of getting a concussion by falling off their bikes than playing football, so.
Now we see this report:
Sports may be a great way to keep kids active, but a new study of players finds that the earlier players with CTE started tackle football, the more vulnerable they were to emotional and cognitive problems.
 
Researchers from the Boston University School of Medicine and VA Boston Healthcare System studied nearly 250 football players, of whom 211 were diagnosed with CTE after their death. CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, is a degenerative brain disease that often starts after repeated head trauma. Earlier studies have shown that the brain may change even after one hard hit.
Hey, what can I say but this:

No comments: