Tuesday, September 04, 2018

RIP Village Voice

The paper is shutting down:
Barbey bought the famous citycentric weekly, co-founded by Dan Wolf, Ed Fancher and Norman Mailer in 1955, from Voice Media Group in 2015 after it spent years going through assorted owners, mergers and separations. Barbey also noted on the call that he bought the publication to save it.  “This isn’t exactly how I though it was going to end up. I’m still trying to save The Village Voice,” he said, before telling his staff that they had “amazing grit” and remained “professional” through it all.
In 1998 I walked into the Voice to place an ad for a drummer. $34. "Ramones, Replacements, Modern Lovers. Beginners welcome." I got a great friend & years of (trying to) rock. Now all I can think is it cost $34, whats that today, $1900? :)

No comments: