Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Godfathah

As Godfather to three children (one of whom is actually baptized), I took an interest in this article about the quasi-newfound secularism of being a godparent:
Though the kids were baptized, McGuire says her relationship with her godchildren skews secular and more auntlike; she’s an unbiased voice of reason during disagreements. She especially hopes to be a source of educational and professional guidance as they get older, a relationship she wishes she’d had. “I didn’t have godparents,” McGuire says. “I always wanted them, and since I’ve gone off to college, I know people who had godparents and saw them be there for the big moments in life. That’s what I wanted to do for my godchildren.”
"But Xmastime", you say in the voice of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward from those soap commercials (RIP), “didn't you join a church 7 years ago for the sole purpose of being a godfather and then rather hilariously blog about it?"  

Sigh. Yes, faithful readers, yes I did.




No comments: